Tuesday, March 6, 2012

On Remembering

The topic of remembering has come up in my life a lot lately. I don't think I ever realized how important it is until I realized how often it comes up in relation to Israel.

When it comes to remembering things I need to take with me, things I need to tell/ask or give to people, I have a pretty good memory. When it comes to things that have happened in the past, funny memories or things from my childhood, I have a pretty good memory.

But when it comes right down to it, none of that matters nearly as much as my 'spiritual' memory, if I can call it that.
Far too often, I'm afraid I have a bad case of what Ann Voskamp likes to call spiritual amnesia.

At my women's Bible study this morning, our teacher said this about the Israelites while reading portions of Psalm 78:
"They refused to believe what God told them today; they refused to remember what God told them yesterday...therefore, this nullified their future."

Memory, at least spiritually speaking, is a choice.

When Satan is bombarding me with lies about myself, I need to choose to remember who God says I am. When Satan is bombarding me with lies about God, I need to choose to remember who God says He is.
When I'm struggling and things are hard and I'm tempted to give in to discouragement, I need to remember who is in control. When I'm worried about the future, I need to remember who is planning out my life. When I'm tempted to sin, I need to remember the consequences for my sin; I need to remember what God says my sin is and how it grieves Him and hurts my relationship with Him. I need to choose to constantly remind myself of everything God says and everything He has done in the past. 

Well, it isn't particularly eloquent or complete, but that's what's on my mind and I thought I'd share quick.

So, til next time!

Learning to remember,

Leah

1 comment:

  1. Posh! It was very eloquent! Thanks for the reminder! =D

    ReplyDelete