Friday, December 16, 2011

Believing God

I've been reading 'Believing God' by Beth Moore, and something she said really struck me:

"[Everything hinges on this:] God is who He says He is. In fact, He's either everything He says He is, or He's a liar and unworthy of any faith at all....Over and over in Scripture, when God was about to move in the lives of His people or instruct them to reposition, He began with a reminder of who He was."
 A few of the examples she gives:

"I am the LORD, who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land to take possession of it."-Genesis 15:7
"I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless."-Genesis 17:1
"God said to Moses: 'I AM who I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"-Exodus 3:14

Everything in my life hinges on whether or not my God is who He says He is.
Do I really believe that God is who He says He is? If I really, deep in my heart, believe this then my life should show it.

If I really believe that God is my Jehovah Jireh, my provider, I won't ever have to worry about money.

If I really believe that God is sovereign, then I'll never worry about the future...or about today, come to think about it.

If I really believe that God is incapable of making any mistakes and that everything He does is good, that includes myself...and I'll be able to view myself as a one-of-a-kind masterpiece, beautiful in His eyes.

I read Psalm 78 yesterday morning. It talks about how much God did for Israel, and how stubborn and heard-hearted they were, how unfaithful they were. Then it says:

"They forgot what He had done, the wonders He had shown them." (v. 11)

"...In spite of all this, they kept on sinning; in spite of all His wonders, they did not believe. So He ended their days in futility and terror. Whenever God slew them, they would seek Him; they eagerly turned to Him again. They remembered that God was their rock, that God Most High was their Redeemer."-v.32-35 (emphasis mine)

 They forgot who God was and what He had done for them. They only remembered when He rescued them from trouble...and, if you know anything about Israel you know they quickly forgot again.

Ouch.

I see this in my own life: God has done so much for me. And He has revealed Himself to me in amazing ways. But there are days when I forget who God is...not about Him, but His very nature and character. I don't live like I really believe God is who He says He is.

I want to wake up every single morning remembering who my God is; I want to walk through my life believing that God really is who He says He is. I want to choose to believe Him when it's hard...I want people to see, through my life, that He is worth it all.

For His glory!

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment